Using the world's resources appropriately
We manufacture and blend biofuel into the petrol and diesel we supply in order to cut greenhouse gas emissions and meet our biofuel supply obligations.
We work to ensure that we only supply biofuels that use the world's resources appropriately.
- We aim to achieve at least 70% carbon saving from our biofuels. At double the level required under the EU Renewable Energy Directive, it is a highly ambitious target.
- We devote time and resource into sourcing the lowest carbon biofuels possible.
- We aim to minimise the land use change impacts and improve the emissions savings of our biofuel by choosing biofuels from wastes wherever possible.
- Almost all of the biodiesel that we blend into our diesel is derived from waste oils and fats. More in About Our Biofuels.
- 100% of the biodiesel produced at our biodiesel manufacturing facility at Immingham is from wastes.
- We are carrying our pioneering work with waste oil suppliers in Europe, the US, Middle East, South East Asia and South America to demonstrate traceability back to the restaurant.
We obtain verifiable evidence on the origin and sustainability impact of every litre of biofuel we blend into our fuel, to demonstrate compliance with the requirements of the EU Renewable Fuel Directive. These prohibit use of crops grown on newly deforested land.
- We make available detailed information on the origin of our raw materials and the carbon savings achieved, because we believe that disclosure drives improvement.
- Detailed information about our biofuels is provided in our Annual Report and on our raw materials and carbon pages.